Today's Stats:
Miles: I forgot to write down the exacts but it is roughly 1940 miles for the whole trip and 630 miles today
Est Avg Gass Mileage: 24mpg... Although, now I'm buying my gas in liters so it probably uses it at a different rate ;) hehe, kidding that is about 10.2 km per liter
License Plate Count: Saw New Hampshire and North Carolina so down to 8 states missing.
Border Crossings: 1 (eh?)
We started out the day in Billings, MT and just in case you were wondering... Montana looks about the same as most of SD and WY we drove through... flat and covered with cows.
Canada! We made it to the border and through the border with no problems. The guy scared us a little saying Dad's passport was not "valid" but turns out it was just because he had not signed it... he let us through no problems though and didn't even want to see Libby's papers... I know she's legit though.
Welcome to Alberta! Also, this part of Canada.... looks like the other pictures... turns out Canadian cows look like US cows. I won't post another picture, you'll just have to reference back to Montana.
My trusty drivers... Dad drove the whole day today which was super nice of him!
We made it to Calgary and had just enough time to pick up some snacks and get Canadian play money before picking up Alison and Mom at the Calgary Airport. The timing worked out perfectly. Dad and I were really impressed with what we saw of Calgary and I wouldn't complain if I ever had to go back for some reason.
Once we were all together, Mom and Dad picked up their rental car and Alison and I continued in the RX and we all headed towards the mountains and the town of Canmore. We are staying in Canmore tonight and tomorrow, going to explore Banff and Lake Louise tomorrow and then Alison and I are headed on to the Alaska Highway.
Oh - I almost forgot... on the way out of Calgary is where the Olympic ski jump and luge/bobsled were held. The ski jump ramps and hills the land on were ridiculously high and steep... I'm not sure why anyone feels the need to do that... and as we came in to Canmore we saw our first Elk. But I'm guessing we'll see plenty more of those.
Calgary is an oil and gas city. You might just wind up there if you are not careful.
ReplyDeleteWow, I haven't been on any blogs in almost a week and so much going on with you! I knew you were coming in for the race and then final trip back...our prayers for a safe journey are with you. And it really wasn't til now that it kinda hit me and I am very teary eyed writing this...I miss you! Keep up the great blog!
ReplyDeleteT - If you haven't done it already - read the poems of Robert W Servos (sp?) especially "The Cremation of Sam McGee" He writes all about western Canada and it is so fun to read. the Poems are a riot and Middle and Western Canada always makes me think of those poems.
ReplyDeletePS. I know three girls who would probably try ski jumping one of these days. Their initials are Theresa, Linda and Jen.